Type of Information We Collect and How We Use It
Generally, we will collect certain Aggregate Information, Personal Information, or both when you subscribe to our products or services; contact us; participate in forums, or message boards; rate, tag, or comment on articles; or participate in surveys, contests, or games.
1. Aggregate Information
A. Collection. We may collect and use general, non-identifying information (“Aggregate Information”) to improve the content of our Site, for systems administration, and for trouble-shooting purposes. This Site’s servers may automatically collect information about your computer, including information such as the following, as well as other information:
· Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which can identify the location from which you entered the Internet;
· The type of web browser you use;
· The type of operating system you use, such as your company or the domain name of your Internet Service Provider (“ISP”); and
· Webpages that you visit and the number of pages you visit.
B. Use. We may use Aggregate Information to help improve your use of the Site. For example, we may use this information to analyze trends to improve the Site’s design and content and to help diagnose technical problems. We may also use this information in seeking advertisers and partners.
2. Personal Information
A. Collection. We also collect what we call “Personal Information”, which is any information that you voluntarily submit to us, such as:
· Your name;
· Email address;
· School name;
· City, state, and country;
· Age; and
· Hobbies and interests.
Often, we request this information when you:
· Register or create a profile on the Site;
· Inquire about our Pen Pal News, and its products or services;
· Request support;
· Join an on-line community, forum, or message board;
· Send us an email;
· Enter a contest or complete a survey; or
· Otherwise contact us using Personal Information.
Certain actions that you perform on the Site may trigger the collection of additional Personal Information. Here are some examples:
· Forums and Message Boards. Please be aware that any Personal Information as well as any other information or content that you post on a forum or message board, or otherwise disclose may be collected and used directly by third parties. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you may choose to share information. You should have no expectation of privacy with respect to your communications through these Forums.
· Contests. We may, from time to time, sponsor contests or other events (“Events”) which require the collection, processing, and storage of individual contact information and demographic information of those wishing to participate. These Events may prompt participants to answer survey questions. Any personally identifiable information collected in connection with these Events will be treated as Personal Information. No purchase is ever necessary to participate in an Event. Please see the official rules of each Event for more information. We may co-sponsor Events with other companies, in which case any information collected is likely to be shared with participating sponsors, who may use this information as they wish. A registrant’s personal contact information will not be released to any third party organization, other than the named sponsors, without the registrant’s consent.
· Third Party Information. You may choose to register or enter a contest on behalf of another person. The personal information of another person also constitutes Personal Information.
B. Use. No information of any student or adult that makes identity and location known to the public will be released on the non-password protected portion of PenPal News without authorization from a student’s teacher or without express written permission from the teacher or the student’s parent or legal guardian.
We may use your Personal Information for one or more of the following purposes:
· The specific purposes for which you provide the information to us;
· To fulfill your requests for, products, services, programs, subscriptions, and offerings;
· To send you information about your transactions with us;
· To send you a confirmation or to notify you that you have won a contest;
· To provide you with notification of the Site’s new products, programs, services, or features;
· To enhance or develop the Site’s features, products, or services; or
· To personalize content and advertising that you and others see on the Site.
We may also use the Personal Information we collect for internal purposes, which may require the transfer of such information to our other offices, affiliates, or third party service providers. This transfer may be necessary for administrative purposes, technical maintenance, communication about customer service issues, the marketing and promotion of products and services that might be of interest to you, and to use in seeking advertisers and partners.
3. Security Measures
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in order to secure the information we collect online, prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, prevent fraud, ensure the correct use of information, and for risk management purposes. Please note that PenPal News does not employ Secure Socket Locker (SSL) technology.
4. Sharing Aggregate and Personal Information
We reserve the right to share both Aggregate and Personal Information we collect from you with third parties if we are authorized to do so, if we believe in good faith that the law requires it, to protect the rights of Pen Pal News, or as part of a sale disposition of our assets (including our membership and customer records). We may also use and disclose Personal Information to comply with any court order or government investigation, subpoena or inquiry, as otherwise required by law, or to protect the property or personal safety of Pen Pal News, users of the Site, or the public. We may also use and disclose Personal Information to prevent or trace abuses of the Site, including but not limited to use of a forum or message boards.
Some cookies may contain your Personal Information, and such cookies may be shared with our affiliates.
If you would like to avoid cookies, your web browser may have an option that enables you to disable or not accept cookies. Please note, however, that some aspects of the Site may not function properly if you choose to disable or not accept cookies.
We may use web beacons to gather metrics from anonymous web users and email recipients for the purpose of operating and improving the Site and email communications. A web beacon is an electronic image that is embedded in a web page or email which allows us to track when users view a web page or recipients open an email containing a beacon. We do not identify the name of a web user or the email address of a web recipient when we use web beacons.
While we have taken reasonable steps to limit the uses of information you provide and we may allow you to set privacy options that limit access to information you post on the Site, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot and do not guarantee that this information will remain permanently secure and will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. There is always a possibility that your information could be lost due to technical problems or stolen from our databases. We are not responsible for any such loss, theft, circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures, or any other unanticipated security breach.
Even after removal, copies of information you post may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or if other users have copied or stored this information.
This policy does not apply to websites or practices of companies that Pen Pal News does not own or control, or to individuals that Pen Pal News does not employ or manage.
2. Third Party Advertisements
We do not have access to or control of the cookies that may be placed on your computer by the third party advertisers, and third party advertisers do not have access to your contact information stored on the Site unless you choose to share this information with them.
Again, if you would like to avoid cookies, your web browser may have an option that enables you to disable or not accept cookies. Please note, however, that some aspects of the Site may not function properly if you choose to disable or not accept cookies.